Peter Sommer Travels
Peter Sommer Travels – 2016 History Trips
PETER SOMMER TRAVELS UNVEILS 2016 HISTORICAL TRIPS
INCLUDING EXPANSION OF ITS ALEXANDER THE GREAT TOUR TO HIGHLIGHT NEW MUSEUM AT TROY
Archaeological and cultural tour specialist Peter Sommer Travels has expanded and introduced extra departures for some of its most popular expeditions in its newly released 2016 brochure, unlocking some of the greatest treasures of the ancient Mediterranean.
From the Amalfi Coast to the Ramparts of Rhodes, the small-group tours and gulet cruises offer a fascinating insight into past civilisations while at the same time exploring some of the most spectacular scenery in Turkey, Greece and Italy.
Hosted by expert guides from fields including archaeology, ancient history and the arts, each expedition delves into the vivid history of past empires while also offering a chance to enjoy the magnificent culture, food and wine of each country.
New archaeological museum at Troy
One of the most significant and iconic places in history, archaeology and literature, Troy has lacked a museum to display its wonders, until now. The revised and extended tour now includes an extra day so guests can spend more time in Troy and visit the new museum, where they will be personally escorted by Troy’s Archaeological Director, Professor Rüstem Aslan. They’ll also have the opportunity to visit some of the key sites related to the Gallipoli campaign.
Company founder, archaeologist and BBC TV historical documentary-maker Peter Sommer will be personally guiding this tour. Sommer walked 2,000 miles across Turkey in 1996, retracing the route of Alexander the Great from Troy to the battlefield of Issus. He went on to work on the BBC/PBS series In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great, presented by Michael Wood. Ever since, Sommer has been organising exceptional expert-led archaeological, historical and culinary tours for small groups, as well as private gulet charters. Sommer organised and led his first tour in 1996, so 2016 marks his 20th anniversary of creating and leading archaeological tours.
The 12-day tour departs 25th April 2016 and includes 11 nights’ accommodation (3-5 star hotels with character), transport, most meals, airport transfers at the beginning and end of the tour, guide services, all entrance fees and tips on excursions. Flights extra. From £3,195 pp*, twin share.
New tour for 2016
- Exploring the Peloponnese – A 15-day discovery of the large peninsula that makes up the southernmost point of mainland Greece, home to endless cultural riches and superb natural beauty. The tour includes visits to an impressive six UNESCO World Heritage sites, as well as exploration of undiscovered spots far off the beaten track, such as the cliff-top monasteries of Arcadia and the frescoed churches of the Mani peninsula. There’s also much to please gastronomic travellers, who will have ample opportunities to enjoy fine food and wine throughout. Departing 18th May 2016. From £3,650 pp*, twin share.
Several of Peter Sommer Travels’ 2016 tours are already fully booked, so the following additional departures have been added:
- Exploring Sicily – A 14-day journey among the wonderfully preserved remains of the Greek, Roman and Phoenician cities that line Sicily’s coast, as well as the ancient temples, olive groves and Baroque towns that hug its steep hills. New departure 8th May 2016. From £3,995 pp*, twin share.
- Exploring Crete – A 13-day expedition on the largest of the Greek islands, once home to civilisations ranging from Stone Age seafarers and Neolithic farmers to the mysterious and fascinating Minoans. New departure 11th October 2016. From £3,425 pp*, twin share.
- Cruising the Dodecanese – A 15-day cruise aboard a traditional wooden gulet, travelling from the isle of Samos southwards through the entire Dodecanese chain to Rhodes, including some of the most beautiful of the Greek islands and three UNESCO-listed World Heritage sites. Departures 4th June and 24th September 2016. From £3,795 pp*, twin share.
- Cruising the Amalfi Coast – An eight-day cruise along Italy’s most celebrated coastline, combining the breath-taking mountains and villages of the Amalfi Coast with archaeological treasures such as the Roman frescoes of the Villa Oplontis. Departures 27th August and 3rd September. From £3,595 pp*, twin share.
*Tour and cruise prices include transport, accommodation, most meals, crew and expert guide services, all entrance fees and tips on excursions. Flights extra.
Dozens of expeditions are available in the Peter Sommer Travels 2016 programme, including city tours, land tours and cruising expeditions aboard traditional wooden gulets. Exploring Turkey, Greece and Italy, they cater to no more than 18 guests at a time. The company also organises tailor-made expert-led gulet charters and land based tours for private groups, including private family trips.
Peter Sommer Travels celebrates its 21st anniversary with NEW keys to Ancient Turkey cruiseLearn more
Explore the fabled city of Troy with Peter Sommer TravelsLearn more
Peter Sommer Travels announces two new tours for 2020Learn more
It’s a delight to work with the team at Travel PR. They’re prompt, pro-active and always know just what I need.Julia Brookes, The Times
Travel PR, established 25 years ago, is a leading specialist PR and communications agency specialising in the travel, hotel and lifestyle markets. Want to create a PR strategy for your brand?