Make Summer last longer – Southern Africa for discerning travellers with Kirker Holidays
As the UK basks in unseasonably warm September weather, it’s hard to imagine that winter is on its way. Despite this temporary respite, alas, it is only a matter of time before socks replace sandals… so get ahead of the hordes and plan a delightful escape to Southern Africa now, where pleasant temperatures and cloudless blue skies promise a welcome extension to what has been a superb British summer.
Specialist tour operator, Kirker Holidays offers an array of Southern Africa itineraries, ranging from indulgent city breaks and sublime safaris to historic battlefields tours, luxury train journeys and relaxing beach experiences. Choose from tailor-made single and multi-centre itineraries in South Africa (including Cape Town, The Winelands, Hermanus & the Overberg Coast, The Garden Route, Eastern Cape Game Reserves, Kruger National Park, Madikwe Game Reserve & Kwazulu Natal; Botswana (including The Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park & Savute Game Reserve); Zambia (including Victoria Falls) and Mauritius.
Kirker’s dedicated Southern Africa brochure is brimming with suggestions for tailor-made short breaks and multi-centre holidays, including several hotels that appear in its programme for the first time this year:
In CAPE TOWN…
- One of the oldest buildings on the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the four-star deluxe Dock House has been lovingly converted into a wonderful boutique hotel, offering just five luxuriously-decorated rooms and one suite as well as an outdoor pool, spa and fitness centre.
- Suitable for discerning travellers seeking their own personal space within footsteps of Cape Town’s most popular sandy beach at Camps Bay, The Place on the Bay Hotel consists of 21 four-star serviced apartments, ranging from studios to the luxurious five-star penthouse with private swimming pool and sundeck.
- Set in Cape Town’s affluent Central Peninsula – a peaceful, verdant area just a 15-minute drive from the city – the five-star Glen Avon combines the contemporary comfort of a hotel with the personal service of a welcoming guesthouse.
In the WINELANDS…
- Explore the historic town of Stellenbosch – and the award-winning vineyards and restaurants of the surrounding countryside – from the stylish surroundings of the four-star deluxe Majeka House. As well as a convenient town centre location, there’s also a sophisticated bar and restaurant, a spa and spacious grounds in which to relax after a busy day of sightseeing.
At VICTORIA FALLS…
- Joining the five-star The Royal Livingstone as Kirker’s recommended accommodation at Victoria Falls are The Victoria Falls Hotel and Victoria Falls River Lodge, both offering an equally unforgettable opportunity to visit one of the world’s most stunning natural wonders.
Built in 1904, the four-star Victoria Falls Hotel promises discerning travellers the epitome of traditional comfort, as well as a private footpath – winding through tropical gardens where the hotel’s outdoor pool can also be found – that leads to the falls. Or opt instead for the four-star deluxe Victoria Falls River Lodge, nestled on the banks of the Zambezi River (with the falls visible on the horizon), and enjoy game viewing excursions from land, river or on foot, observe the river birds and roaming warthogs from the garden’s tree hide or indulge in a spa treatment, either in your room or by the infinity pool.
Also making a welcome return to Kirker’s Southern Africa programme after a few years’ absence are:
- Set amid 10,000 hectares of pristine African wilderness on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the family-owned and managed Kariega Game Reserve offers a choice of accommodation as well as an irresistible combination of the ‘Big Five’, general game viewing and an abundance of diverse flora, fauna and birdlife.
On the banks of the Bushman’s River, the four-star River Lodge has ten spacious thatched suites, comfortable public areas and observation deck with magnificent views, whilst Settlers Drift – which opens in December – promises an opulent, five-star luxury tented lodge experience in a remote and untouched part of the Kariega wilderness.
- Madikwe Game Reserve
In the north of South Africa, close to the Botswana border, Madikwe Game Reserve boasts endless wildlife-watching opportunities. Its 75,000 hectares of open grassland, rolling hills and riverside forest are home to the ‘Big Five’ as well as a myriad of other animal and bird species, including the African wild dog, which has been successfully reintroduced. With a range of family-friendly lodges, Madikwe is malaria free and makes an excellent add-on at either the beginning or end of a South African holiday – combined, for example, with Cape Town and Mauritius:
An 11-night holiday, blending three nights each in Cape Town and Madikwe Game Reserve with five nights in Mauritius costs from £3,715 pp. The price is based on two sharing and includes BA flights (London) to Cape Town/from Mauritius, private hotel transfers, internal flights, accommodation with breakfast at the four-star Cape Cadogan hotel in Cape Town, all meals/game drives at the Madikwe Safari Lodge and half-board accommodation at the four-star deluxe Paradise Cove hotel on Mauritius.
Kirker’s team of Southern Africa specialists can ably assist clients to create a tailor-made itinerary that suits their particular requirements – whether visiting for the first time, returning to the region to explore more of its off-the-beaten-track destinations or travelling to pursue a particular interest, such as wildlife, wine or Battlefields history. For example:
- Cape Town & The Western Cape
A seven-night holiday combining cosmopolitan Cape Town* with the magnificent coastline and glorious whale-watching opportunities of Hermanus costs from £2,445 pp in October, which is the best month to spot whales here. The price is based on two sharing and includes flights (London), private transfers and seven nights’ accommodation with breakfast – four at the four-star Winchester Mansions on Cape Town’s Atlantic Seaboard and three at the four-star Ocean Eleven in Hermanus.
- Kwazulu Natal
Explore this diverse region – renowned for its fascinating Battlefields history, spectacular mountain scenery, beautiful beaches and excellent game-viewing – on an 11-night holiday. The price is from £3,245 pp (two sharing) including flights (Heathrow) to Johannesburg, internal flight (Durban to Johannesburg), hire car, nine nights’ accommodation (at Three Tree Hill Lodge, Fugitive’s Drift Lodge, Thanda’s tented camp and The Oyster Box, most meals, guided tours and game drives. (Two nights’ flying).
*Visitors to Cape Town will also receive a copy of Kirker’s popular Guide Notes to restaurants, museums and sightseeing, whilst the services of Kirker’s Concierge – to make restaurant reservations and arrange private guided tours, whale watching, wine-tasting and other excursions – are available for clients visiting all Southern Africa destinations.
For further information on booking a Southern Africa itinerary, call Kirker Holidays on 020 7593 2289 or visit www.kirkerholidays.com.
Ends / 22 September 2014
Wine Tours with Tim Clarke join Kirker’s Cultural Tours programmeLearn more
Spring into a Short Break with Kirker HolidaysLearn more
Travel PR is not just a PR agency which works to represent us as a business; they are very much part of the AITO family, and make it their mission to engrain AITO’s DNA into the way that they work. It’s more like working with friends, because they really care and are passionate about AITO. They constantly strive to ensure that AITO is seen as the market leader in specialist travel and we trust them implicitly.AITO, The Specialist Travel Association
Travel PR, established 25 years ago, is a leading specialist PR and communications agency specialising in the travel, hotel and lifestyle markets. Want to create a PR strategy for your brand?