Peter Sommer Travels
Discover Europe’s cultural charms and welcoming Mediterranean weather this autumn
Enjoy Europe’s cultural charms this autumn
with Peter Sommer Travels: Cruising, walking and more
Cultural and archaeological tour specialist, Peter Sommer Travels, offers a range of in-depth, expert-led itineraries to some fascinating regions in Croatia, Greece, Italy and Sicily plus Turkey.
Enjoy the Mediterranean’s gentle rays and warm seas while exploring Europe’s cultural charms on an expert-led trip this autumn. Choose from a range of scenic sea voyages – each based aboard a hand-crafted gulet, with comfortable cabins, private en suite facilities, and air conditioning – and exciting land-based tours, all in the company of enthusiastic expert historians and archaeologists.
Catering to small groups of up to 18 people (often fewer), these trips feature enthralling ancient history, superb scenery and delicious cuisine, avoiding crowded tourist areas in favour of unspoilt landscapes and lesser-known gems. Peter Sommer Travels’ expert guides are true specialists with impressive academic backgrounds in history, art and/or archaeology and an enthusiasm for sharing their local knowledge.
Prices are based on two sharing and include full-board accommodation (unless otherwise stated), all crew services, expert-led excursions, entrance fees and transfers. Flights are extra.
Peter Sommer Travels currently has availability on the following autumn tours:
- NEW: Cruising the Dalmatian Coast: from Šibenik to Zadar – this seven-night voyage invites just 12 guests on an off-the-beaten-track tour of one of Croatia’s most diverse coastal regions. Led by archaeologist Dr Helena Tomas, discover Šibenik’s cathedral and hilltop fortresses, the tiny rock islets that form the Kornati archipelago, Trogir’s preserved medieval cityscape and the Krka Valley’s incredible waterfalls. Other highlights include the tiny island of Nin, one of Croatia’s medieval capitals and, of course, delicious Croatian cuisine and wine, served onboard and ashore. Departing 9 September 2017, the price is from £3,395 pp.
- Cruising the Dalmatian Coast: from Split to Dubrovnik – cruise along the southern part of Croatia’s Adriatic Coast on this seven-night trip. Led by archaeologist Filip Budić, explore the Palace of the Roman Emperor Diocletian at Split and Dubrovnik’s fine monuments and mighty walls – both listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites – as well as the intimate town of Korčula. Admire grand views over the surrounding islands at Brač, visit the charming harbour town of Hvar, remote and historic Vis, and more. Enjoy freshly-prepared Croatian dishes and wine throughout the cruise.Departing 16 September 2017, the price is from £3,395 pp.
- NEW: Walking and Cruising Southern Dalmatia – this seven-night trip introduces Peter Sommer Travels’ first Croatian ‘Walking and Cruising’ itinerary, combining the comfort of a gulet cruise with fascinating excursions exploring ancient forts, beautiful towns and magnificent castles, all brought to life by archaeologist Dr Helena Tomas. Discover the Stari Grad Plain on Hvar (a UNESCO World Heritage site), the 5km medieval wall at Ston and the lakes and beautiful monastery on the verdant island of Mljet. Tuck into tasty cuisine and fine wines, served in local restaurants and onboard.Departing 30 September 2017, the price is from £3,395 pp.
- NEW: Cruising the Aegean: from Kos to Patmos – this seven-night cultural cruise, based in the Dodecanese islands, explores the archaeological riches of Kos, Crusader castles built by the Knights of St John and the sacred island of Patmos – a UNESCO World Heritage site – in the company of expert guides, Prof. Tony Spawforth and Nota Karamaouna. Anchoring in beautiful coves and harbours, meals are served on the gulet and in specially-selected tavernas on the islands.Departing 2 September 2017, the price is from £2,575 pp.
- Exploring Athens: Archaeology, Culture and Food – Experts Heinrich Hall and Nota Karamaouna lead this seven-night exploration of Athens’ fascinating and extensive history. Follow the peripatos (ancient track) around the Acropolis, visit the Agora, the city’s ancient marketplace – with its wealth of remains from Classical, Hellenistic and Roman times – plus the pretty 19th century harbour town, Aigina, and ancient treasures in the National Archaeological Museum, with free time to explore the ancient city at leisure.Departing 7 October 2017, the price is from £2,650 pp (full-board five-star hotel accommodation; all meals included except two dinners and one lunch).
ITALY & SICILY
- Cruising the Amalfi Coast – this seven-night cruise differentiates itself from the crowd, as holidays around the Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast are typically based on land, by offering just 10 guests the chance to see the beautiful Italian coastline from the water. Expert guides Dr.Sophy Downes and Francesca Del Vecchio will lead visits to famous sites including Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi, and lesser-known gems including the Imperial Villa Baia and the outstanding Roman frescoes of the Villa Oplontis, with ample time to swim in the warm Mediterranean Sea.Departing 2 September 2017, the price is from £3,975 pp.
- A Gastronomic Tour of Sicily – Catering to a maximum of 10 guests, this seven-night trip is ideal for food lovers who will be treated to tasty meals, excellent Sicilian wine and aromatic food tours in Eastern Sicily. Learn how to prepare regional specialities during private cookery classes at local restaurants, sample local delicacies at herb and olive farms and discover Sicilian food culture. Led by Marcello Baglioni and Lucia Iacono, visit Baroque towns, UNESCO World Heritage sites, and bustling food markets, plus a walking tour of Mount Etna in the company of an expert vulcanologist.Departing 23 September 2017, the price is from £3,375 pp (including B&B hotel accommodation, six lunches and three dinners).
- Walking and Cruising the Lycian Shore – now in its 11th year, this two-week tour is one of Peter Sommer Travels’ most renowned and cherished trips. Ideal for walkers and lovers of the sea and escorted by Peter Sommer himself, visit a series of archaeological highlights – including the Lycian city of Pinara, the Roman port city of Patara and the Ottoman castle of Kale – and trace the routes of 2,000-year-old aqueducts. Follow in the footsteps of characters from Alexander the Great to the nomadic herders of recent centuries, and enjoy ample time to swim in the pristine waters.Departing 30 September 2017, the price is from £3,995 pp.
For further information and to talk to experts on all of the specialist company’s wide range of trips (30 trips to choose from in 2017 – including food tours, walking holidays and family adventures) and private charters, call Peter Sommer Travels on 01600 888 220 (www.petersommer.com). The 2018 brochure will be published in September.
Peter Sommer Travels celebrates its 21st anniversary with NEW keys to Ancient Turkey cruiseLearn more
Explore the fabled city of Troy with Peter Sommer TravelsLearn more
Peter Sommer Travels announces two new tours for 2020Learn more
I have worked with Travel PR for almost 20 years - during which time they have helped to facilitate access to a wide range of clients, tourist boards, destinations and tour operators. While the contours of travel have inevitably changed during that time, Travel PR have been a constant. I have always found them to be professional, helpful, and easy to deal with.Chris Leadbeater, The Telegraph
Travel PR, established 25 years ago, is a leading specialist PR and communications agency specialising in the travel, hotel and lifestyle markets. Want to create a PR strategy for your brand?