Early summer rail holidays in June
April 4, 2017 | Ffestiniog Travel
Ease into summer on a June escape with Ffestiniog Travel
Escorted tour temptation to Europe, the UK & the USA
With the clocks set forward, what nicer way to spend the longer days than by planning an early summer escape? Whether staying closer to home this year or keen to venture further afield, whether a train aficionado or simply looking for a relaxing break, rail holiday specialist Ffestiniog Travel has an array of escorted tours, all departing in June, that are just the ticket.
In the UK…
- NORTH WALES: A treat for train connoisseurs, FR Behind The Scenes (five days) offers unique ‘access all areas’ at the world’s oldest narrow gauge railway, the Ffestiniog Railway. Visit the parts not normally seen by passengers, enjoy a footplate ride on one section of the line and join a steam-hauled private charter through the glorious Snowdonia National Park. Profits from Ffestiniog Travel (owned by a Charitable Trust) go to support the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways.
Departing 2 June, the price is from £795 pp (two sharing, including four nights’ B&B in Porthmadog, three sandwich lunches and two dinners, guided tours and excursions as per the itinerary, and the services of a tour leader throughout.
- NORTH WALES: Explore this beautiful part of the UK by steam railway, take a scenic cruise down the Llangollen canal, travel by train along the pretty Cambrian coast and visit an array of castles, gardens and monuments on a nine-day Grand Tour of North of Wales.
Departing 9 June, the price is from £1,580 pp (two sharing), including eight nights’ full board (four in Betws-y-Coed, two in Llangollen, one each in Chester and Aberystwyth), all excursions and transfers as per the itinerary, and the services of a tour leader throughout.
- SWITZERLAND: Delight in memorable days spent amid spectacular mountain scenery and postcard-perfect villages on a 15-day Swiss Alpine Holiday that blends journeys on the iconic Bernina and Glacier Express trains with ample to time to explore independently using the first-class Swiss Travel Pass that is included, giving unlimited travel throughout the country.
Departing 2 June, the price is from £2,530 pp (two sharing), including 14 nights’ B&B in Basel, Lausanne, Meiringen, Thun, Chur and Cologne, standard-class rail travel to/from Switzerland, a first class Swiss Travel Pass, optional escorted excursions and the services of a tour leader throughout.
- CENTRAL EUROPE: Join a specialist tram tour visiting Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, the Czech Republic and Hannover on Ffestiniog Travel’s specialist Trams of Central Europe escorted tour. This 16-day itinerary kicks off in Cologne before taking the scenic rail route along the River Rhine to Vienna for highlights that include private historic tram tours, visits to tram museums and plenty of free time to enjoy sightseeing using the included European Global Pass.
Departing 10 June, the price is from £1,995 pp (two sharing), including return Eurostar, passes for tram networks in Vienna, Budapest, Prague and Hannover, 15-day Global InterRail Pass, 15 nights’ B&B, excursions and the services of a tour leader throughout.
- GERMANY: Visit the world-famous Harzer Schmalspurbahnen (HSB) on a seven-day Harz Explorer tour. Enjoy three of those days travelling on steam trains over 140 km of narrow gauge lines through delightful countryside, including an ascent to the top of Brocken Mountain, a former Soviet look-out and listening post with commanding views. Away from the railway tracks, explore the UNESCO World Heritage town of Quendinburg as well as the characterful towns of Wernigerode and Frankfurt.
Departing 17 June, the price is from £990 pp (two sharing), including standard-class rail to and from Wernigerode, a three-day HSB rail pass, six nights’ B&B in Aachen, Wernigerode and Frankfurt, one evening meal and the services of a tour leader throughout.
- SCANDINAVIA: Travel beyond the Arctic Circle to the Land of the Midnight Sun via historic cities, outstanding scenery and wonderful rail experiences on a two-week journey to The Grand Arctic, through Norway and Sweden, using the Global InterRail pass that comes with this holiday to enjoy unlimited travel across both countries.
Departing 27 June, the price is from £2,895 pp (two sharing), including flights (London) to Bergen/from Stockholm, welcome and farewell dinners, 15-day Global InterRail Pass, 14 nights’ B&B in Bergen, Oslo, Trondheim, Bodø, Narvik, Gällivare, Arvidsjaur, Östersund and Stockholm, excursions and the services of a tour leader throughout.
In the USA…
- COLORADO: Featuring a definitive selection of Colorado’s most famous railroads, join fellow train enthusiasts on a 13-day tour, Mountains, Trains & A Touch of Old West – The Best of Colorado. Set against the stunning backdrop of the Rocky Mountains, scenic journeys on the Georgetown Loop, Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, Durango & Silverton, Cumbres & Toltec, and Rio Grande railroads are among the many highlights.
Departing 15 June, the price is from £3,550 pp (two sharing), including flights (London), room-only accommodation in Denver, Colorado Springs, Leadville, Pagosa Springs and Alamosa, two lunches, excursions and the services of a tour leader throughout. One overnight flight.
For more information on Ffestiniog Travel’s tailor-made rail holidays, ticket-only service, and European and worldwide escorted tours, call 01766 772 030, email email@example.com or visit www.ffestiniogtravel.com.
It has never been so easy to book with Ffestiniog Travel. All of its escorted tours can now be booked online via the website www.ffestiniogtravel.com at the touch of a button.