‘Secret’ Sri Lanka joins Jules Verne’s sublime collection of escorted tours to the Indian Subcontinent
May 22, 2018 | Jules Verne
Latest programme also features ‘no or low’ single supplements on more tours, reduced group sizes, jeep safari upgrades and a new Special Event in Jaipur
Specialist operator Jules Verne (www.vjv.com) has added a new Sri Lankan itinerary to its popular collection of escorted holidays in the Indian Subcontinent. Joining 24 other tempting tours in the latest edition of Jules Verne’s dedicated brochure to India, Nepal, Bhutan & Sri Lanka (covering departures until December 2019), this ten-night trip visits the north of the country, which has retained its unique style and culture after being off limits during the civil war which ended in 2009.
One of Sri Lanka’s best kept secrets, the northern part of this beautiful tear-shaped island offers wildlife, temples and delightfully uncrowded coastal areas in abundance. Secret Sri Lanka takes travellers away from the well-trodden tourist sites of the south to explore Wilpattu National Park – renowned for its leopard sightings, mammals such as the sloth bear and water buffalo, and impressive bird population that includes the painted stork and little cormorant – as well as the fascinating regional capital of Jaffna and historic port city of Trincomalee.
Enjoy a train journey to Jaffna, where visits to Kadurugoda Temple and Nallur Hindu Temple, and a curry cookery demonstration are among the highlights, travel by boat to Delft Island (known for its wild ponies, descended from horses first introduced by the Portuguese), visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Polonnaruwa and ancient rock cave temple at Dambulla, and choose from optional excursions that include Anuradhapura – famous for its enormous dagobas (brick stupas) and ancient pools – and whale or dolphin-watching.
Departing 21 September & 26 October 2018, and 22 February, 22 March & 26 April 2019, the price is from £1,995 pp (two sharing), including flights (Heathrow), transfers, nine nights’ B&B, five lunches, nine dinners, excursions, and the services of guides and local representatives. One overnight flight.
Jules Verne’s dedicated brochure to India, Nepal, Bhutan & Sri Lanka also includes several new features, further enhancing its holiday offering in this vibrant, colourful and intoxicating part of the world:
- No or Low Single Supplements: For 2019 departures, Jules Verne has reduced the single supplements on many of its tours by up to 50%. No Single Supplement departures have also been added to:
- The Taj Tour: Tick off India’s famous Golden Triangle (Delhi – Agra – Jaipur) as well Amritsar, Shimla and Mumbai on this 13-night itinerary, staying at prestigious Taj hotels (with dinner) throughout. Departing 8 January, 30 April, 10 & 17 September and 3 December 2019, the price with no single supplement is from £2,295 pp*.
- Kerala Naturally: One of India’s most beautiful areas, famed for its lush vegetation, beaches and picturesque backwaters, Kerala is a delightful combination of coast, countryside and colonial history. This 16-night tour takes in the remote north of the region as well as the rainforest, the Indian Ocean and the hill stations of the Western Ghats. Departing 14 March & 12 September 2019, the price with no single supplement is from £2,495 pp*.
- Highlights of Northern India: Visiting the Agra, Mehrangarh and Amber forts, the Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri and Udaipur, this exceptionally good value 13-night tour also includes a game drive in Ranthambore National Park. Departing 6 January, 14 April & 22 September 2019, the price with no single supplement is from £1,495 pp*.
- Upgrade from Canter (safari bus) to Jeep safaris in Ranthambore National Park: Improving the overall safari experience and the likelihood of good sightings, jeeps carry fewer passengers (usually up to six), tend to be less noisy and easier to manoeuvre, and are therefore less disturbing to wildlife. Jules Verne India itineraries that feature Ranthambore National Park include The Tale of the Tiger, a ten-night journey from the Golden Triangle to Rajasthan’s famous tiger reserve that also includes an evening talk by a naturalist about the tigers at Ranthambore. Departing from September to December 2018 and throughout 2019 (excluding June – August), the price from £1,595 pp*.
- Group sizes reduced: Jules Verne’s group sizes have been reduced across its Indian Subcontinent programme, making them lower than most other escorted tour operators. Depending on the itinerary chosen, the average group size is ten. Smaller groups create a more intimate and sociable atmosphere, enabling travellers to delve into their destination in more detail, get closer to the destinations visited and experience local life in a more personal and informal setting.
- Special Events in Jaipur: Clients visiting Jaipur as part of their escorted tour with Jules Verne (except Highlights of Northern India) will now enjoy two extra experiences as part of their itinerary: sipping cocktails at the world-famous Polo Bar before dining in the Rajput Room at the city’s Taj Rambagh Palace Hotel. One itinerary that includes this memorable evening is Grand Tour of India, a 21-night travel odyssey encompassing colonial heritage, Rajasthan, the Golden Temple, the Ganges, the Taj Mahal, hill stations, houseboats and Kerala. Departing from September to December 2018 and from January to March and September to December 2019, the price is from £3,395 pp*.
- Useful weather guide and client feedback on top-rated tours and guides: Providing invaluable assistance for clients planning their visit to the Indian Subcontinent, Jules Verne’s latest brochure features an easy-reference chart showing the average daily temperatures and monthly rainfall across the region throughout the year. Also featured is feedback from clients who travelled there with Jules Verne in 2017, rating their top ten Indian guides (local specialists guide each tour) and their top ten tours for accommodation.
- Privately guided & small groups: Keen to visit India, Nepal, Bhutan & Sri Lanka but prefer a more personal experience with family or friends? Jules Verne can create a privately guided version of any of its escorted tours in the region, visiting the same sights but with your own vehicle and driver/guide, travelling either on the published brochure dates or on alternative dates as required.
*Prices are based on two sharing (unless otherwise specified) and include return flights, accommodation, meals and excursions as per the itinerary, and the services of a Tour Manager, guides and local representatives.
Fully ABTA and ATOL bonded, and winner of many travel awards, including Which? ‘Recommended Provider Status 2017’, Jules Verne’s team of travel experts organises every detail, ensuring that clients can book in complete confidence. This commitment is further reinforced by Jules Verne’s 100% Price Guarantee; the holiday price is fixed when clients book and will remain so, even if Jules Verne’s costs increase subsequently.
A copy of Jules Verne’s latest brochure to India, Nepal, Bhutan & Sri Lanka can be viewed or downloaded here. For details of its escorted tours and cruises worldwide, for 2018 and beyond, call 020 3553 3722 or visit the Jules Verne website at www.vjv.com.