New escorted options take discerning travellers from Tuscany to Tenerife, alongside several new additions to Kirker’s exclusive music festival selection
Specialist tour operator for discerning travellers, Kirker Holidays has launched the latest edition of its Cultural Tours & Music Holidays brochure, covering destinations in the UK, Europe and the USA. Filled with escorted itineraries to occupy the most ardent aficionado until November 2013, the new programme encompasses a variety of specialist subjects – from archeology and architecture to horticulture and history – as well as general interest tours, plus 22 short breaks and holidays aimed at music enthusiasts.
NEW for 2013 are nine cultural tours, whilst music lovers have a choice of two new escorted tours to leading music festivals and three exclusive music festivals, including one at sea:
- BULGARIA: The Classic Tour of Bulgaria – Icons, Monasteries & Mountains. This nine-night tour seeks out the cultural heritage of an oft-overlooked country – visiting historic treasures from the Ottoman Empire, mediaeval Orthodox monasteries and ancient sites of Thracian, Roman and Byzantine origin. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Andrew Allen. Departing 3 June & 30 September 2013, the price is £1,747 pp*. Single rooms are available at no supplement.
- FRANCE: The Burgundian – staying in Beaune & Auxerre. From monumental mediaeval architecture and a rich 15th century artistic legacy to beautiful rural landscapes and superb wine and cuisine, this seven-night tour samples the very best of one of France’s loveliest regions. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Delia Gray-Durant. Departing 6 May & 2 September 2013, the price is £1,989 pp*.
- ITALY: Umbria – The Essence of Italy. Based at the four-star Brufani Palace Hotel in the heart of Perugia, this seven-night itinerary features visits to many of Umbria’s historic hilltop towns and views works by some of Italy’s most important artists, including Piero della Francesca. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Christopher Monckton. Departing 27 May & 7 October 2013, the price is £1,794 pp*.
- ITALY: Siena & the Gardens of Tuscany. This five-night escorted tour explores the diversity and richness of Tuscany’s gardens, visiting some of the finest examples around Siena including the Villa Chigi Cetinale, Geggiano and the perfect hanging garden at the Palazzo Piccolomini. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Caroline Howard. Departing 24 April & 25 September 2013, the price is £1,669 pp*.
- SPAIN: Extremadura & Castille. Explore the heart of real Spain with visits to two of its most historic and unspoilt regions. The seven-night itinerary is based first in Trujillo, from where the group travels to beautiful Cáceres and Mérida, before moving on to Ávila and excursions to Salamanca, Segovia and El Escoriál. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Simon Monckton. Departing 15 April & 21 October 2013, the price is £1,889 pp*.
- SPAIN: Andalucian Discovery. A nine-night, three-centre tour based in the great Moorish cities of Andalucia – including visits to Seville’s Cathedral, Córdoba’s Mezquita and Granada’s Alhambra, as well as several historic towns en route. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Simon Monckton. Departing 1 April & 4 November 2013, the price is £2,186 pp*.
- SPAIN: Tenerife – The Nature & History of a Volcanic Island. Escape the rigours of the British winter on this seven-night tour of Tenerife and its many delights, including luxuriant gardens, perfectly-preserved villages and Mount Teide National Park. Sample delicious local wines, visit Santa Cruz’s stunning Auditoria de Tenerife concert hall, and much more. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Christopher Monckton. Departing 21 January & 18 November 2013, the price is £1,798 pp*.
- TURKEY: Mysteries of Eastern Turkey. Unlock a very different side of Turkey on a tour that’s ideal for the more adventurous traveller. Halfeti, home to the world’s only black rose; Urfa, the birthplace of Abraham; and the monumental burial ground of King Antiochus (64BC) at Mount Nemrut all feature in this 13-night itinerary, as do Istanbul and the lonely waters of mystical Lake Van. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, Murat Siviloglu. Departing 4 May & 15 October 2013, the price is £2,659 pp*.
- USA: Art & Music in Philadelphia. Discover the origins of America’s most historic city during this six-night tour that encompasses visits to the Barnes Foundation, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum and the Baltimore Museum, as well as three musical performances. Led by Kirker tour lecturer, John Lloyd. Departing 23 April 2013, the price is £2,689 pp*.
ESCORTED TOURS TO LEADING MUSIC FESTIVALS
- GERMANY: Music in Baden-Baden. Home to the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra’s Easter Festival for the first time in 2013, Kirker clients can be assured of some of the hottest tickets in town on this six-night escorted holiday that also includes a backstage tour of the Festspielhaus as well as visits to Strasbourg and the beautiful Black Forest city of Freiburg. Departing 23 March 2013, the price is £2,280 pp*.
Travel in May, and a similar itinerary substitutes the Easter Festival with celebrations for the 200th anniversary of the composer Wagner’s birth as well as performances at the Festspielhaus of Le nozze di Figaro by Mozart, a recital of sonatas by Schubert and Beethoven, and two pieces by The Bamberg Symphony Orchestra. Departing 20 May 2013, the price is £2,280 pp*.
- GERMANY: The Dresden Music Festival. Celebrating its 37th year in 2013, the Dresden Music Festival offers a plethora of performances at historic venues across this fascinating city. As well as tickets to six concerts, this seven-night itinerary includes visits to Dresden’s major sites, buildings and galleries as well as excursions to Meissen and Pillnitz. Departing 26 May, the price is £2,389 pp*.
EXCLUSIVE KIRKER MUSIC FESTIVALS
Featuring a programme of world-class performances created exclusively for its clients, as well as the chance to meet the musicians themselves, Kirker adds three new itineraries to its sought-after selection for 2013:
- ITALY: The Kirker Music Festival in Frascati – as if five nights at the glorious Park Villa Grazioli weren’t enough of a treat, this itinerary includes four sublime concerts, given in the villa’s grand frescoed salon, with wonderful views of Rome served up alongside interval drinks on the terrace. Excursions to wonderful private gardens, historic buildings and important art collections are also included. Departing 24 June 2013, the price is £1,956 pp*.
- SPAIN: The Kirker Chopin Festival in Mallorca – a six-night holiday based in the picturesque village of Banyalbufar on Mallorca’s glorious north coast – close to where Chopin spent one of the best-known periods of his life. Enjoy three piano recitals by Melvyn Tan at the Carthusian monastery at Valldemossa and two recitals (organ and Spanish guitar) in the village church, as well as excursions around the island. Departing 26 September, the price is £1,566 pp*.
- The Kirker Music Cruise to the Baltic & St Petersburg – sailing on Fred.Olsen’s ‘Black Watch’, enjoy private musical performances in the ship’s own Marina Theatre and the chance to join the Kirker Choir, coached by choir master Christopher Monckton. This 14-night, no-fly cruise also includes shore stops in Warnemünde (for Berlin), Stockholm, Tallinn, St Petersburg, Karlskrona, Copenhagen and Amsterdam. Departing 7 May, prices start from £2,385 pp for an inside cabin.
*Unless otherwise stated, prices are based on two sharing and include return flights, internal transfers, accommodation with some meals, excursions/musical performances and the services of a tour lecturer and/or holiday escort. Single rooms available on request (supplement applies).
5 October 2012