New brochure adds several European itineraries alongside perennial train travel favourites
Specialist rail operator Ffestiniog Travel has launched its new Rail Holidays of the World 2013 brochure, packed with a tempting selection of escorted and tailor-made journeys across the globe. Holidays featured in the brochure are divided into three collections, offering something for every type of train traveller:
Grand Rail Tours - for those looking to explore the world by rail and enjoy a fulfilling mix of culture, leisure, like-minded company and comfortable accommodation during the journey.
Connoisseur Rail Tours – for those with a specific passion for railways who wish to indulge this enthusiasm within the framework of a refined and relaxing holiday.
Signature Rail Tours – provide the flexibility to travel anytime, anywhere in the world. Trips can be tailor-made for couples or groups who have a specific itinerary in mind, including accommodation and guided sightseeing en route, as well as all rail arrangements.
Says Maria Cook, General Manager: “With almost 40 years’ experience in creating rail holidays for people with a passion for travel and trains, we really understand what our clients want. Whether it’s a short hop across the Channel for a European city break, a trip-of-a-lifetime to celebrate a special occasion or simply a return ticket to see friends and family in the UK or further afield, Ffestiniog Travel’s expert team is always on hand to help.”
“In an industry that’s increasingly fixated on economies of scale and moving large numbers of holidaymakers from A to B as cost-effectively as possible, we remain refreshingly down to earth and focused on the content and quality of our arrangements rather than the volume. Ffestiniog Travel is a small company with a boutique approach to creating holidays, backed up by an ATOL licence and financial protection guarantees that give clients complete reassurance when booking their holiday with us.”
New for 2013 are five Grand Rail Tours and three Connoisseur Rail Tours:
Grand Rail Tours
- Featuring a breathtaking mix of some of the UK’s very best railway and coastal scenery, The Hebridean – Scottish Western Isles is an 11-day exploration of the Outer Hebrides. From £1,600 pp* departing 3 June 2013.
- Discover a wealth of history against stunning natural backdrops on a 13-day Discover Bohemia itinerary that takes travellers from the medieval city of Prague to the lakes and forests of South Bohemia. From £1,665 pp* departing 28 September 2013.
- An excursion to the Lascaux Caves, a cruise in a replica 18th century ‘garbares’ (traditional flat-bottomed boat) and a ride on the Truffadou Railway are among the highlights of the seven-day Castles in the Dordogne tour. From £1,095 pp* departing 11 September 2013.
- Classic culture and stunning scenery combine on a 15-day Florence, Lake Garda and Swiss Alps itinerary that includes time in Florence, Siena, Lombardy, Venice and Montreux as well a journey on the Glacier Express. From £2,325 pp* departing 10 September 2013.
- Follow the ‘Romantic Road’ from Würzburg in the north of Bavaria to Füssen in the south on a 15-day Bavaria and Austrian Tyrol tour that features many memorable railway experiences as well as a visit to ‘Mad’ King Ludwig’s Castle. From £1,850 pp* departing 4 September 2013.
Connoisseur Rail Tours
- Timed to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the world’s first underground railway, the ten-day Behind the Scenes in London & the South East tour uncovers some of the hidden secrets of the capital’s transport system and travels behind the scenes at several steam railways in Kent. From £1,360 pp* departing 25 April 2013.
- The 15-day Tramways of Germany tour samples some of the country’s finest tram networks, travelling on lines of three different gauges on a wide variety of vehicles, and to cities that include Brussels, Cologne, Manheim and Dresden. From £1,645 pp* departing 16 June 2013.
- Visit wartime venues spanning almost nine centuries – from the Bayeux Tapestry of 1066 to the liberation of France at the end of World War Two – on the unique ten-day Railways and Wartime – Northern France itinerary. From £1,450 pp* departing 1 July.
The leading UK specialist operator to Romania, Ffestiniog Travel has added two new tours there for next year. Romania – Life as it used to be takes travellers back to a bygone age. This 13-night itinerary departs on 12 May 2013 and costs from £2,195 pp*. Or visit in autumn, when Romania’s forests and mountains are at their very best. Departing 19 October 2013, Romania’s Golden Colours features family-run home-stay accommodation, locally-grown produce and rural life during a 12-day tour that costs from £1,955 pp*.
2013 sees Ffestiniog Travel return to Spain and Japan after a break of several years. Departing 13 June, Green Hills of Spain and La Rhune is a 15-day holiday combining the spectacular northern coastline with visits to several of Spain’s vibrant cities, plus a short trip to south-western France (from £1,625 pp*). In the Far East, Japan – North to Hokkaido includes the world-famous Shinkansen Bullet Train and Banetsu Monogatari steam train, remote branch lines and much more. Departing 25 September, the price is from £5,187 pp*. Also making a welcome return is Indian Hill Railways, encompassing three exceptional railways that served the former British Hill Stations. Departing 10 February 2013, this holiday promises engineering excellence, fierce gradients and stunning scenery in equal measure. Price is from £4,350 pp*.
Back for 2013 by popular demand, too, is FR Behind the Scenes. A sell-out success in 2012, this five-day itinerary offers a unique insight into normally-unseen aspects of its sister company – the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. Watch the locos being prepared, visit areas not usually open to the public and experience unforgettable journeys on both lines as well as a private ‘Behind the Scenes’ day trip on a special steam-hauled two-coach train. Departing 6 June & 12 October 2013, the price is from £595 pp*.
*Depending on the itinerary chosen, prices include rail travel and transfers, flights (non-UK tours), accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis, excursions and the services of a tour leader throughout. All prices are based on two people sharing – single supplements apply.
Ends – 4 September
Note to Editors:
Ffestiniog Travel is owned by a Charitable Trust and profits go to support the world-famous Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways.